Salt Lake City, Utah

Salt Lake City, Utah
Picture taken on Thanksgiving weekend 2013.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Our First Tornado Experience!!



Hi everyone,

I'm happy to say that experience is over with. We had our first tornado scare. We were ready for it to hit us, that's how close it was to us.

Dawson and I had stopped off at the grocery store after leaving his school yesterday. It was pretty windy when we went into the store, but nothing unusual. When we walked out of the store the sky was a weird color and the tornado sirens were blaring. We knew it was for a tornado, but we didn't know if it meant a watch or a warning. Dawson called home to let Keegan know we were on our way since she was alone. As soon as we got home we turned on the TV weather station. They instructed everyone in Wichita to start preparing to take cover. The funnel clouds were heading for the west side of Wichita. We live on the northeast edge of the city. Across the street from a small town called Bel Aire. We started grabbing pillows, blankets, water, food, and a few other important things we wanted to keep safe. I kept watching the sky from our basement window. It was still that weird greenish gray color. It was about 5:20 pm. The weatherman then reported the funnel cloud was in the area of Hwy 96 and 45th street, heading for Bel Aire. It was soon to be in our area. The sky became as dark as night. That's when the kids and I decided to take a moment to pray together. It was hard to believe, but it seemed like we were next to be hit by a possible tornado. As fast as the sky went dark, the weatherman then reported the tornado had dispersed and was no longer a threat! The sky became light again and started to rain pretty hard. We were so relieved. I went upstairs to make dinner. The rain quit, the sun came out. We went outside to look at the bright sky and there was the biggest, brightest rainbow you could possibly imagine. Spreading from one end of the sky to the other. The kids and I were so amazed how beautiful it was and how fast all this weather change took place. Welcome to Kansas, huh? Actually I'd like to believe our last minute prayer was very powerful. Our neighbor lady was so thoughtful. At the beginning of everything she came to our house to make sure the kids weren't alone. I am so happy she took the time to make sure they were OK.

The good thing out of that whole experience, is that the kids went through what needs to be done in case they are ever alone. Me too, It's been so long since I have been in that situation from living in Wisconsin. I have to say I don't remember a time being so close to the real thing. I do like that this city seems to be very experienced and knows how to prepare everyone for a tornado. Unfortunately it's because they've been hit in the past years so hard.

I was sorry to read this morning that Oklahoma did get hit hard yesterday. Reading about it made me feel sad and a little too close for comfort.

Once again I didn't mention David through all of this. The poor guy had to work. You know the Post Office saying..."Through rain, sleet or hail"... they had to keep working! (Whatever their saying is, I don't know what it is!!) Apparently their building is supposed to be tornado proof. There aren't any windows and the walls are made of some special thick heavy cement of some kind. I don't know, I just think they don't want to stop them from working no matter what. Kind of stupid if you ask me, but thankfully the funnel clouds were not in his area, so we didn't worry about him. Although I know he was real concerned about us. He was listening to the radio while everything took place.

After it was all over, Dawson got on his cell phone and had to tell his Arizona buddies the exciting news. Keegan had to go back and finish her homework!
I don't have any tornado pictures, thank goodness! Instead I have attached a few pictures of the kids and their cousin's Brian and Daniel from Illinois, when they were here visiting us during the New Year. The pictures are of "The Original Pizza Hut". It was opened in June of 1958 right here in Wichita, Kansas. Hey I was born in June of 1958, about 1 week after it was opened!! It is no longer open and it has been placed on the campus of Wichita State University. See we have something to brag about!!
I have the day off and I want to do a lot of things today. Thanks for following my blog. I understand if you don't have time to read it every time I write. Strangely I have found that I enjoy writing on it, maybe to express myself? I don't know... who cares why, right?
A few blogs ago I had asked if anyone could come up with a better word than "windy" for this city. Naturally a friend of mine from Wichita quickly said "GUSTY", that is a perfect word to describe our weather here on a daily basis.
Alright I need to go. Take care and keep in touch with us. We love and miss all of you.
God loves all of you.
Love,
Marjie

No comments:

Post a Comment