Salt Lake City, Utah

Salt Lake City, Utah
Picture taken on Thanksgiving weekend 2013.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Update on the 1st day of school





Hello,

If you read yesterdays blog, you know I could hardly wait to see the kids after school to get the scoop.

Picking up Keegan was interesting. The school is huge, and I couldn't park anywhere close to where I dropped her off in the morning. Although I did find a parking lot around the other side of the building. I only hoped she would be able to find me. Luckily there was a big "W" on the side of the building, which meant west wing. At last using our cell phones, she found where I was parked. This morning was a whole lot easier dropping her off, since we found our little unknown west side area. Plus her 1st class is in the west wing. Yeah!

All Keegan could say was "I love my Drama class and teacher". She hated lunchtime! She said there was a big mob in the hallway when the bell rang. (The entire school has lunch at the same time!) She went outside to get some fresh air, tried to sit by a few people. One kid got up and left her. Another girl just ate her lunch and stared at Keegan. The rest of the day was average. Her teachers talked a lot about 1st day routine stuff. Keegan did say there were a lot of cute boys in every class. Actually she phrased it differently, but this is my interpretation of it! She is very optimistic for her 2nd day. In her math class, the teacher had a chart up on the wall with every one's name on it. They had to solve the problem in order to find out what chair they were to sit in. The teacher informed them everyday they will get a new math question and different chair to sit in! (Yikes, I would be in trouble!!) She did well navigating herself around to each class. I'm sure today will be better for her. She did pull out a notebook in each class and make personal notes about different kids that she found interesting. (That is so Keegan like, huh?)

Dawson had an entirely different experience yesterday. He was happy about everything. He enjoyed his lunchtime! Made several friends. Even exchanged phone numbers with 1 kid. He was a little concerned when he ended up in an 8th grade drama class. He went to the teacher right away and told her he didn't think he should be there. Immediately they took care of his schedule and put him in his P.E. class. Good thing, because Dawson would have been miserable in a drama class. I was very proud of him for speaking up. His only other dilemma was his combination lock on his locker. He hasn't ever had a locker before. We practiced last night on paper, so I hope today he can figure it out. He did enjoy his first experience of going to a different classroom for each subject. He spoke very highly of every teacher. Although he did say one was pretty scary, whatever that means. He never could explain what scary meant! He was the first on his bus, and the last to get off. He said it did seem like a long ride, but was OK with it.
They both were exhausted and went to bed a good time. I don't feel as nervous today for them. I do hope Keegan's day goes better. She was a bit sad and I think really misses her AZ friends. Thank goodness for texting, otherwise she would be a sad girl if she couldn't continue to communicate with her AZ friends. They were all excited to hear about her day and helped her feel better about everything.
The 1st picture above is a small glimpse of the wooded area behind our home. In about 20 feet is a stream. Kitchen, living room, basement and the kids sitting outside. Our duplex looking from the back is the one on the right side.

I worked in the house all day doing the same thing, trying to get settled in. I have a couple of pictures for you. I'll send more when I can figure this blogging thing out a little better!

Love and kisses to all of you.
God bless you,
Marjie

No comments:

Post a Comment